We have a brand new updated website! Click here to check it out!

Sheriff: 2 killed, 2 wounded in central Missouri

ST. ROBERT, Mo. (AP) – Authorities say two people have been fatally shot and two others wounded in south central Missouri.

The Springfield News-Leader reports that Pulaski County Det. J.B. King said the shooting happened around 2:50 p.m. Thursday in St. Robert. King says the four victims were in a vehicle at the time they were shot by an unknown suspect.

King says the shooter remained on the loose Thursday night. King says the Lake Ozark Major Case Squad has been called to assist. The names of the victims weren’t immediately released.

Greitens fighting for political life after affair, denying blackmail

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) – Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens appears to be bracing for a fight to preserve his political life after admitting to an extramarital affair but denying anything more.

Greitens met Thursday with Cabinet members and placed calls to rally support while his attorney issued firm denials to a smattering of allegations related to the affair. Among other things, Greitens’ attorney is denying any violence, revealing photos or attempted blackmail.

Republican political consultants say that for Greitens to survive politically, the facts must remain as he initially said – that he had an affair but nothing more.

At least two Democratic lawmakers have called upon Greitens to resign.

But Republican officeholders have generally been more measured with their responses so far. Many have said they want to first see all the facts.

Mo. woman dies after crash blamed on icy highway

BENTON COUNTY — A Missouri woman died in an accident just after 4p.m. Thursday in Benton County.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol reported a 2004 Chevy passenger vehicle driven by Mary J. Harms, 56, Lincoln, MO., was northbound on U.S. 56 just north of Frisch Road. The driver lost control of the vehicle on the ice-covered road. The vehicle crossed the center line and struck a 2006 Jeep Wrangler driven by Caleb J. Reno, 22, Warsaw.

 Harms was transported to Bothwell Hospital where she died. Reno was not injured. Both drivers were properly restrained at the time of the accident, according to the MSHP.

Police investigate fatal NE Kansas hotel shooting

Law enforcement on the scene of the shooting investigation early Friday-photo courtesy WIBW TV

SHAWNEE COUNTY —Law enforcement authorities are investigating a fatal shooting.

Just before 11:30 Thursday, police responded to motel in the 700 Block of SW Fairlawn in Topeka for a report of a shooting, according to Lt. Jennifer Cross.

One victim, Jesse Lee McFall, 31, suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was transported to a local hospital where he died from his injuries.

Cross said The shooting stemmed from an argument between known subjects.  Police have not reported an arrest and released no additional information early Friday.

Anyone with information regarding this crime is encouraged to contact the Topeka Police Criminal Investigation Bureau.

Missouri man who killed 14-year-old stepson dies in prison

Johnson-photo MODOC

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) – A Springfield man serving life in prison for killing his 14-year-old stepson has died in prison.

State corrections officials say 70-year-old William Jones died Monday. Prison officials did not provide more details but said they do not suspect foul play.

The Springfield News-Leader reports Jones was convicted of first-degree murder in the shooting death of Trevor Jones in August 2012.

Prosecutors and witnesses said Trevor Jones’ mother, Falecha Jones, found him dead on the floor and her husband, William, nearby with a gun.

Investigators said officers had been called to the family home twice the night before Trevor’s death because of problems between William Jones and his stepson.

Man sentenced to death for killing 10-year-old Missouri girl

Wood -photo Greene Co.

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) – The man convicted of abducting and killing a 10-year-old Springfield girl has been sentenced to death.

Circuit Judge Thomas Mountjoy on Thursday sentenced 49-year-old Craig Wood for the February 2014 death of Hailey Owens.

Woods was convicted in November of first-degree murder but the jury couldn’t decide whether to impose the death penalty or life in prison without parole.

Before sentencing, Mountjoy denied motions from Wood’s attorneys for a new trial and calling judge-imposed death sentences unconstitutional.

Wood grabbed Hailey off the street and took her to his home, where he raped her and shot her in the head. Her body was found in his basement.

The case severely impacted the Springfield community. Four days after Hailey’s death, an estimated 10,000 people marched in a candlelight vigil to honor her.

Kansas may require “able-bodied” Medicaid recipients to work

WASHINGTON (AP) — Rewriting the rules on health care for the poor, the Trump administration said Thursday it will allow states to require “able-bodied” Medicaid recipients to work, a hotly debated first in the program’s half-century history.

Seema Verma, head of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said requiring work or community involvement can make a positive difference in people’s lives and in their health. The goal is to help people move from public assistance into jobs that provide health insurance. “We see people moving off of Medicaid as a good outcome,” she said.

But advocates said work requirements will become one more hoop for low-income people to jump through, and many could be denied needed coverage because of technicalities and challenging new paperwork. Lawsuits are expected as individual states roll out work requirements.

“All of this on paper may sound reasonable, but if you think about the people who are affected, you can see people will fall through the cracks,” said Judy Solomon of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, which advocates for the poor.

Created in 1965 for families on welfare and low-income seniors, Medicaid now covers more than 70 million people, or about 1 in 5 Americans. The federal-state collaboration has become the nation’s largest health insurance program.

Beneficiaries range from pregnant women and newborns to elderly nursing home residents. Medicaid was expanded under former President Barack Obama, with an option allowing states to cover millions more low-income adults. Many of them have jobs that don’t provide health insurance.

People are not legally required to hold a job to be on Medicaid, but states traditionally can seek federal waivers to test new ideas for the program.

Verma stressed that the administration is providing an option for states to require work, not making it mandatory across the country. Her agency spelled out safeguards that states should put in place to get federal approval for their waivers.

States can also require alternatives to work, including volunteering, caregiving, education, job training and even treatment for a substance abuse problem.

The administration said 10 states have applied for waivers involving work requirements or community involvement. They are: Arizona, Arkansas, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Utah and Wisconsin. Advocates for low-income people say they expect Kentucky’s waiver to be approved shortly.

In Kentucky, which expanded Medicaid, Republican state Sen. Damon Thayer said work requirements could lessen the program’s impact on the state budget. They also hearken back to the program’s original intent, he added, “as temporary assistance to try to help people get back on their feet, not a permanent subsidy for someone’s lifestyle, if they’re capable of working.”

But congressional Democrats said the Trump administration is moving in the wrong direction. “Health care is a right that shouldn’t be contingent on the ideological agendas of politicians,” said Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon, the top Democrat on the Senate committee that oversees Medicaid.

The debate about work requirements doesn’t break neatly along liberal-conservative lines.

A poll last year from the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation found that 70 percent of the public supported allowing states to require Medicaid recipients to work, even as most Americans opposed deep Medicaid cuts sought by congressional Republicans and the Trump administration.

Another Kaiser study found that most working-age adults on Medicaid are already employed. Nearly 60 percent work either full time or part time, mainly for employers that don’t offer health insurance.

Most who are not working report reasons such as illness, caring for a family member or going to school. Some Medicaid recipients say the coverage has enabled them to get healthy enough to return to work.

Thursday’s administration guidance spells out safeguards that states should consider in seeking work requirements. These include:

—Exempting pregnant women, disabled people and the elderly.

—Taking into account hardships for people in areas with high employment, or for people caring for children or elderly relatives.

—Allowing people under treatment for substance abuse to have their care counted as “community engagement” for purposes of meeting a requirement.

The administration said states must fully comply with federal disability and civil rights laws to accommodate disabled people and prevent those who are medically frail from being denied coverage. States should try to align their Medicaid work requirements with similar conditions in other programs, such as food stamps and cash assistance.

The National Association of Medicaid Directors, a nonpartisan group representing state officials, said in a statement there’s no consensus on whether work requirements are the right approach.

“This is a very complex issue that will require thoughtful and nuanced approaches,” said the group.

Trump’s new direction can be reversed by a future administration. Although waivers can have lasting impact they don’t amount to a permanent change in the program. They’re considered “demonstration programs” to test ideas. The administration says the impact will be closely evaluated.

“We know that Republicans tend to think of Medicaid more as a welfare program, while Democrats tend to think of it as more of a health insurance program,” said Diane Rowland, the Kaiser foundation’s leading expert on the program. “It will be interesting to see how states are going to make this work for people.”

Mo. man dies after vehicle skids, hits trees-head on

TANEY COUNTY — A Missouri man died in an accident just before 10:30p.m. Wednesday in Taney County.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol reported a 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage driven by Michael D. Clark, 57, Blue Eye, was southbound on Ridgedale Road one mile north of Ridgedale. The vehicle traveled off the edge road, returned to the road and started to skid. The vehicle traveled down an embankment and hit trees head-on.

Clark was pronounced dead at the scene. He was not wearing a seat belt, according to the MSHP.

Children’s Mercy receives $150 million from 2 donors

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A project to build a new pediatric research tower at Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City has received $150 million in donations from two prominent donors.

The hospital broke ground Thursday on the tower construction.

The Kansas City Star reports a $75 million donation from the Sunderland Foundation will go toward the estimated $200 million in construction costs, which will be paid through bonds and future fundraising. Another $75 million from the Hall Family Foundation will be used where needed, such as for construction or endowments to pay researchers.

The project will build a mine-story facility where scientists will research childhood diseases. The project is expected to be completed by 2020 and will increase the hospital’s research space from about 66,000 square feet to about 375,000.

House passes controversial spy program with important changes

Thursday morning business in the U.S. House of Representatives- photo courtesy CSPAN

WASHINGTON (AP) — After a confusing morning of tweets by President Donald Trump, the House on Thursday passed a bill to reauthorize a key foreign intelligence collection program with an important tweak: It would require the FBI to get a warrant if it wants to view the contents of Americans’ communications swept up in the process.

Legislation to renew the program that allows spy agencies to conduct surveillance on foreign targets abroad passed the House 256-164 and now heads to the Senate. Trump has said he will sign the bill, which would extend the program for six years.

Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats calls this foreign intelligence the “holy grail” that provides insight into the thinking and actions of U.S. adversaries. However, the program, which is to expire on Jan. 19, also sweeps up Americans’ communications.

Privacy advocates and some lawmakers from both parties want to require the FBI to get a warrant if it wants to query or view the content of Americans’ communications that are in the database to build domestic crime cases.

The bill passed by the House would allow the FBI to continuing querying the database, using search terms, for information on Americans, but would require investigators to get a probable cause warrant if they want to view the actual content of those communications.

Earlier, the House rejected a measure that would have imposed stiffer restrictions on the FBI. It would have required the FBI to get a warrant to continue even querying the database where Americans’ communications are involved.

Trump’s morning tweets caused confusion in advance of the House vote.

One of his tweet suggested that the foreign intelligence program was used to collect information that might have been used to taint his campaign. Afterward, Trump had a phone call with House Speaker Paul Ryan, according to a Republican familiar with the call but not allowed to publicly discuss private discussions.

A short time later, Trump changed his tone on Twitter. “This vote is about foreign surveillance of foreign bad guys on foreign land,” he tweeted. “We need it! Get smart!”

Rep. Adam Schiff of California, the top-ranking Democrat on the House intelligence committee, said Trump’s tweets were “inaccurate, conflicting and confusing.” He suggested that a vote on the bill should be delayed, but it went forward.

The president appeared to contradict the position of his own administration. In one tweet, he linked the FISA program that his White House supports to a dossier that alleges his campaign had ties to Russia. That caught aides and lawmakers off guard. A short time later, he went further.

“‘House votes on controversial FISA ACT today,'” Trump wrote, citing a Fox News headline. “This is the act that may have been used, with the help of the discredited and phony Dossier, to so badly surveil and abuse the Trump Campaign by the previous administration and others?”

Last year, Trump accused the Obama administration of wiretapping Trump Tower during the 2016 presidential campaign. He never cited any evidence, and top intelligence and FBI officials as well as Republicans in Congress swiftly rejected the accusations as false.

Trump’s position Thursday morning seemed to be in opposition to the Trump administration’s position, potentially putting the reauthorization vote in doubt. His tweets came shortly after a “Fox and Friends” segment that highlighted the FISA program. Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, who has also made the television rounds in recent days, has pushed for less invasive spying measures.

The tweets sent White House aides scrambling to explain the apparent about-face. The president’s reversal was yet another example of him seemingly taking cues from television, particularly the morning Fox News show, while also personalizing an issue, in this case the dossier, over a policy position.

There are no obvious links between the dossier and the reauthorization of the spying program, but Trump has repeatedly denounced the document in recent days. The president has said that his campaign and Trump Tower was spied on by the Obama administration, calling the former president a “bad (or sick) guy!” He has offered no proof for such claims.

The FBI and intelligence agencies say being able to query the database is essential to keeping America safe and the Trump administration had wanted the program to be reauthorized without change.

FBI Director Christopher Wray has said that tips are flooding into the FBI by the thousands. It’s at this initial stage — where leads are sifted and prioritized — when foreign intelligence can be queried to help connect dots and spot possible national security threats, he said.

In a recent speech, Wray said: “I’m going to say this over and over and over again. Every court to look at 702 and the way it’s been used, including the FBI queries, have found it fully consistent with the Fourth Amendment.”

Copyright Eagle Radio | FCC Public Files | EEO Public File